About the Weiss Pricing Tool

Weiss is a beloved game for the anime community. The English version of Weiss has been steadily growing over the past years and it’s gaining new players daily. Just like any other trading card games, Weiss has a decent secondary market where players are able to access and purchase the exact cards they want. However, some of the cards just don’t have enough supply to create enough trading volume to make the trading price as a reliable price index. In fact, the only way for fans to participate in the pricing discussion and move the prices in the marketplaces such as ebay.com or tcgplayer.com is to be listing their copy of their cards. This might not be viable for a lot of us might never want to let go out our high rarity cards. JKTCG historically has been the go to index for card prices as the player base has come to respect its fairness and honesty. With JKTCG exiting the community, we need a new price index that is updated, trusted, and fair for this card game to continue its growth.

We have heard so much outcry and worries about reliable pricing, so we have recently created this tool for people to quickly and easily look up the prices.

Meet this weiss pricing tool - https://weiss-prices.japancardgames.com.

First off, we want to acknowledge the contribution of JK! The initial data is based off the prices last published by JK. Hopefully this will carry the community through the next few days or weeks as we create the tooling needed to allow all us to help maintain this.

What Is This Tool?

This is a tool for the community to look up Weiss prices. In the current form, we are making the last updated JK prices for the community. In the near future, we will evolve the tool to allow the community to submit price changes and vote on price changes suggestion.

Is This Same As Buy List / Sell List Price At The Shops?

No because this is maintain by collectors like yourself. Most of the time, card shop prices the card based on the stock they have access to. Sometimes prices could actually be higher on cards if the shop have a bunch of them to sell. We want to make this tool a very non-biased place for people to express the value of a card.

Why Can’t eBay or TCGPlayer Be a Good Solution?

To be exactly, we are trying to help answer these questions that pop up every now and then in our community.

Sometimes card supply will dwindle down and there won’t be any active listings on the marketplaces like tcgplayer or eBay. If someone wants to get an accurate picture of how much a card is really worth for trading or for self entertainment purposes, they juts can’t because there are no actions on the card recently. One is not about to list their card on eBay and back out on the order just to find out. This pricing tool allow us to influence and interact with card price without doing a sale.

When a card with very low supply is listed very high at the marketplace, sometimes as high as $5000 a copy. Is that what the card really is worth or it’s just an arbitrary number set by the seller? Honestly, it’s a bit of both. In the current marketplace mechanics, the only feedback for the seller is whether their listing could be bought, and the only feedback for the buyer could give is either to buy or to skip. There are sellers who just want to list their card at some crazy price as a meme for fun. In short, there is just not enough ways to determine if the price is really right.

What’s In It For You?

We want to create to two things:

1. A non-biased price index that collector can reference when trading with another collector.
  2. A price index that works well in a low supply environment where it won’t get interrupted by buy out and price fixing.

Think of this as a scalable way to survey people on what thought the card price should be, and then hopefully that could foster a helpful conversation as players buy, sell, and trade their cards.

What’s In It For Us?

To be transparent, not a whole lot… We are data geeks here and we really just want to make something cool and useful for the family here.

Kozuguru and its Japan Card Games project have no intention in operating in the singles market. Therefore we have no interest in having a biased voice in the card prices unlike other price list publisher who also happen to be selling singles. We do carry preorder for boosters and trial decks. If you want to support us in the future, feel free to make a purchase at japancardgames.com.

Where to Submit Feedback and Feature Request

You can submit feedback and feature request here in the forum. We will check it regularly. Please keep your conversation constructive and keep our awesome community in mind.

What’s Next

version 0.1 beta launch

• user can browse and filter through the price data of the EN Weiss sets
  • user can share link about the card in market places to make their WTB and WTS posts as a reference

version 0.2 tracking price range

• user to submit an idea for what the price range is for a card
  • other users can vote to get the range to be accepted into the system
  • clear ways to visualize the latest price range for a card

I’m not sure how much user submission is a good idea. It would be easy for me to submit a price of 1,000.00 for Silver Haired Beauty Emilia. That would make the pricing as bad as the meme prices over at TCG player. Would it be possible to compile and then average out prices from sold listings from TCG Player, EBAY, and Strictly Broken TCG. That gives an idea of what people got for the card in question.

User submission can definitely be used if done correctly. In my opinion, I would suggest an intake form of some sort requesting for the following information:

1. Series
  2. Set
  3. Rarity
  4. Name of Card
  5. Card #
  6. Purchase / Sold Price (including taxes and fees)
  7. Date of Purchase or Sell
  8. Sold / Bought on (i.e. Ebay, TCGPlayer, Strictly, Facebook Group, Private Seller, etc…)
  9. Proof of Purchase / Sell

For example, here’s a purchase I made through Facebook:

1. Sword Art Online
  2. Sword Art Online II Extra 2 - Mother’s Rosario
  3. SP
  4. Memories That Were Fun, Yuuki
  5. SAO/SE26-E11SP
  6. $100
  7. 1/1/2020 (this is a Random Date)
  8. Facebook
  9. Attach image of paypal or whatever order#, while redacting any PI (personal information)

Other suggestions:

1. If User Submission is implemented, I think it would be wise to separate the averages coming from User Submission to the averages coming from data pulled from online stores like Ebay, TCGPlayer, etc…
  2. When mentioning the average from any source, make a note on when the average was last calculated and to also provide sourcing information. This is important because a lot of high-valued cards aren’t sold anywhere online and thus you don’t want to see the price from years ago that don’t reflect current market trends.

This is an interesting project, but I think a couple of things have to be nailed down right out of the gate to make sure that it provides meaningful data for the community. Rather than creating a resource that people view as a “guide” or “index”, the tool should be branded more as a price aggregator or history-tracker, similar to sites like MTGGoldfish (Robber of the Rich, Throne of Eldraine (ELD) Price History). Just because TCGPlayer may contain bunk, outlier data sometimes doesn’t mean that it’s not an extremely important metric to track. Community-reported data is a great idea in theory, but it can’t be the primary datasource; it’s just as (if not moreso) susceptible to misreporting as TCGPlayer.

Instead, if the tool aggregated prices from an array of resources (TCGPlayer, SBTCG, Nova, etc…) as well as community submitted price reports, a graph that tracks near-accurate price history can be created. The tool should not show single, static price points for cards, as single numbers have never accurately reflected the current market. While aggregation to the level of MTGGoldfish is likely impossible for a game as small as Weiss Schwarz, following that sort of model is likely the only way for a tool like this to be meaningful to the community as a way to shorthand players doing basic market research.

Great way to pick up where jktcg left off, but I have more qualms about the visual side/layout of the website:

The search function is great, but I also rather have an index for each set where i can view ALL the cards in the set in one go instead of having to go through pages upon pages. Which leads me to my next point: the website is too “modular”. What I mean is in a page there’s so much blank space!

It would be better to just, again, have more cards fit in a page so I can immediately find what Im looking for, without having to have the hassle of clicking through multiple pages.